Health Insurance

See these links for the reports that formed the basis of this chapter:

 http://www.floir.com/pdf/TransitionSupplement.pdf

 http://www.floir.com/pdf/MarketShareLH2006.pdf

Health insurers wrote $21.9 billion in premium in calendar year 2006, a report from Florida’s Office of Insurance Regulation shows. Released in July 2007, the analysis of the various lines of insurance shows that based on premium written, Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Florida was the state’s top health insurer, having written $4.95 billion in premium. Its market share, based on premium written, was more than 22.5 %.

Behind Blue Cross & Blue Shield was Humana Medical Plan, which wrote $3.3 billion in premium in calendar year 2006 and had 15.3 %, market share, the analysis shows.

The remaining top writing health insurers in Florida are:

●Aetna Health Inc of Florida, $2 billion and  9.24 % market share
●United Health Care of Florida, $1.7 billion and 7.96 % market share
●Health Options, $1.2 billion and 5.6 % market share
●Wellcare of Florida, $1.03 billion and 4.7 % market share
●AvMed, $884 million and 4.0 % market share
●Vista Health Plan, $674 million and 3.08 % market share
●CarePlus Health Plan, $641 million and 2.93 % market share
●Humana Health Insurance, $514 million and 2.35% market share

Meanwhile, a different OIR analysis focusing on insurance trends shows that there are 695 licensed entities in the life and health insurance line in Florida. The 46 page document prepared in fall 2006 shows that there are 37 licensed HMOs, 22
licensed prepaid health service organizations, 5 Health Flex Plans and 38 Discount Medical Plans. There are 21 domestic
insurers, and 488 foreign insurers.
 
The analysis shows that Florida ranks behind only New York and California in the amount of health insurance written. In 2005, the combined premiums for health insurers (along with life and health and accident) totaled $45.5 billion, the OIR analysis indicates. In all, more than $80.9 billion in premiums across all lines of insurance was collected in 2005.

Florida's Uninsured Population is on the Rise 

The percent of uninsured citizens in the state of  Florida, meanwhile, is on the rise.  The exact percent of residents without insurance can be debated but most estimates rank Florida either second or third in the percent of residents without health insurance.

United States Census Bureau estimates indicate that in 2005 (latest available figures) more than 3.4 million Floridians were without  health insurance sometime throughout the year, which translates to about 20 % of the population. The other 80 % of Floridians were covered either through private plans or through government programs. That’s a 2.6 % dip from the number of insured citizens in  2002.

 

Great statistical overview of health insurance in Florida from America's Health Insurance Plans, national trade organization for health insurers in Washington, D.C.

http://www.ahipresearch.com/PDFs/StateData/StateDataFlorida.pdf 

 

Florida Senate Banking & Insurance Committee interim study, Analysis of the Current Health Insurance Market in Florida, October 2001, complete report 

Florida Senate, Analysis of Health Insurance Market, Complete Report

Senate Banking & Insurance Committee, interim study, August, 1999: Review of Florida's Health Insurance Laws Relating to Rates and Access to Coverage

Health Insurance Rate-making, Long Report

Senate Banking & Insurance Committee, interim study, August, 1999: Review of Florida's Health Insurance Laws Relating to Rates and Access to Coverage

Health Insurance Rate-making, Florida Senate, August 1999, Summary

Analysis of the Current Health Insurance Market in Florida, from the Senate Banking & Insurance Committee, October 2001. This is the executive summary. 

Fla Senate: Analysis of Health Insurance Market, October 2001

 

 

Senate Banking & Insurance Committee, October, 1998: Rating Practices of Insurers Issuing Health Insurance Policies and Certificates to Individuals Who are Eligible for Guaranteed-Issuance of Coverage.

Senate Report on Guarantee Issue of Health Insurance, October 1998